Types of visa in the Czech Republic

Types of visa in the Czech Republic

May 5, 2019, 10:10 PM

In case you are citizen outside of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland you could by called third-country national or expat. According to the Czech Labour Code, an expat needs to obtain a work permit in order to work in the country. Without this permission and without a valid visa it is illegal to work in the Czech Republic.

There are different types of visa based on specific expats conditions and purpose of stay:

Visa for a stay of up to 90 days (short-term) – this type is used for a stay of a maximum of 90 days during any 180-day period, which means a period of 180 immediately preceding each day of stay. European legislation divides third countries into those whose citizens must hold a visa and those whose citizens are exempt from such conditions (you can check those exceptions here).

Visa for a stay of over 90 days (long-term) – you should apply this type in case you would like to stay in the Czech Republic up to 90 days. In most cases, you have to apply for the visa at the Czech Embassy in the state of which you are a citizen or which issued your current travel document or in the state in which you have a long-term or permanent residence permit. You should fill in the application form with all required documents in original. All the submitted documents must be in the Czech language or officially translated into Czech. Foreign public documents must be supported by a higher verification (Apostille, superlegalisation – you can find the explanation of terms in our immigration glossary).

Long-term residence – there are two way how to apply (based on the current situation of the applicant). The first one is at a Czech Embassy (purpose of studies, scientific research, family reunification, resident of another EU Member State, blue card or employee card or ICT card). Secondly, you can apply inside the Czech Republic at the Ministry of the Interior offices. It is necessary again to fill in the form and prepare all required documents in original and in the Czech language. There several types of permits based on the purpose of stay:

  • The purpose of studies
  • The purpose of scientific research
  • The purpose of employment – employee card and blue card
  • The purpose of business
  • The purpose of family reunification
  • The purpose of investment

Each of those types has something in common, such as:

  • there is a statutory deadline for a ministry decision (most of the time 60 – 90 days)
  • you have to pay a fee for the application submission
  • all the documents from the ministry are in the Czech language
  • in case you should get the plastic card, you have to come in person for the biometrics


The issued work permit cannot be passed to anybody else. It lasts only for a specific period of time (maximum is 2 years, but can be extended) and in case of employment purpose is valid only for the certain employer.